Alese Coco's Journey through Hodgkins Disease

HomeAleseWhat is HodgkinsMedical HistoryHints/Tips

Monday, October 17, 2005

I Start Chemo Today…

I was able to come home for a week, which was awesome and I had the chance to reconnect with many friends. My parent’s only complaint is when I’m home that I don’t get enough sleep, which is probably true. My first day back on the east coast, I slept for fifteen hours.

I had a scan just before leaving to California and Dr. O’Connor told me that I’ve experienced some growth since going off PDX, which made sense because PDX was keeping everything in check.

I’m actually at Sloan Kettering right now and just met with Dr. O’Connor. Today, I begin receiving my first of six rounds of Gemcitabine. After this regimen is complete, they’re going to start me on the clinical trail SAHA, also known as Suberoylanilide Hydroxamic Acid, SAHA as much easier to pronounce. The plan is to contain and reduce current growth and then use SAHA to control further progression.

Over the last week, I’ve experienced typical HD symptoms, the most aggravating is deep skin itching, outside of some fatigue, I’m feeling fairly good.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

2 Win,


Saturday, October 01, 2005

Two / Three Week Break…

I’m off treatment for another two weeks… In the next couple weeks, they’re going to scan me, if there has been any growth or progression; I’m to receive four rounds of a low dose chemo called Gemcitabine. The side affects for this regimen are mild and I’ll be able to carry on life at a normal pace. If the disease has remained stable, I will begin receiving SAHA. It’s in pill form; I won’t even have to get an IV.

My Dad arrived on a “red eye” Sunday morning and attended the appointment with me at Sloan Kettering on Monday afternoon. He stayed an extra day and before flying back to California early Wednesday. This visit was a little longer than his last, which was under 24 hours.

I would have flown back to California with him; however, Aunt Celeste and my cousins Benjamin and Hannah are flying in Friday afternoon. They’re attending a wedding in upstate New York and they’re going to stay with me for a few days, I was unable to attend Uncle Dave’s funeral and I’m looking forward to spending time with them.

Right now, I feel good, for the most part the infection I had is gone. Thank you all for your prayers.

Fighting 2 Win,